Fine and Performing Arts
- General Music in grades 1-8
- Introduction to piano in third grade
- Band (grades 4-8, instruments provided)
- Chorus (grades 3-8)
- Private and group instrument instruction
- Seasonal concert series
- Songwriting and recording project (fifth and sixth grade alternating years)
- Art studio
- Gallery space
- A spring art gallery for all grades.
- General music (grade 9)
- Select jazz/pop band
- Piano class
- Hand bell choir (student directed)
- Dance instruction
- A fully equipped art studio
- With annual studio art shows
- Vocal and instrumental music are offered at all levels.
At Girard College, the arts are an important part of our belief in educating the whole child.
Arts education cultivates the whole person by gradually developing intuition, reasoning, imagination and dexterity. The process results in a well-trained and active mind. Students learn to respect various ways of thinking, working, and expressing themselves, while making decisions in situations where answers are not predetermined. By studying the arts, students stimulate their natural creativity and learn to develop it in a complex and competitive society. All student deserve access to the rich education and understanding that the arts provide, regardless of their background, talents or abilities.
We believe that the arts:
Facilitate the development of mind, body and spirit
Enhance students' abilities to think creatively, critically and reflectively
Add depth and dimension to our everyday lives
Are a fundamental form of human expression and communication
Allow us to interact within others, sharing both our similarities and differences
Expand our imaginations
Help to develop the attitudes, characteristics and intellectual skills to thrive effectively in society today
Promote teamwork and cooperation